Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Early summer projects

Now that the trips are over and the lambs and kids are being picked up for their new homes, the real work begins. The garden needs some serious weeding.
There is a lot of mowing to be done- the pastures, the front and back yard, the orchard, the back of the property and the trail behind the pastures. This is Tom mowing this trail with the sheep who were following behind.
I am trying to organize my fiber studio and reminded my self of three fleeces I kept for myself at shearing and now need to figure out what I am going to do with them. There is Jethro's fleece. He's our California Red wether. I have always sold his fleece so decided to keep it and play with it myself. Here's a photo of a lock.
There's Mutiny's fleece- she's our brown variegated CVM ewe with a really fine crimpy and large fleece. I have always sold her fleeces to so decided to keep it for myself this year. Here's her lock photo.
And there's Barney's lamb fleece- a primitive mioget very soft fleece. He'll never make another lamb fleece so decided to save it. Here's a lock photo.
Then there's all the wool I skirted off the fleeces this year. I need to go through it again and take out the felted and completely unusable wool and have the rest made into comforter batting.
So there's a lot of work to be done, on top of the usual animal chores. There are no lazy days of summer here!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Could you tell me where you send your wool to have comforter batting made? I'm thinking of doing something like that with the leftovers here. Thanks!
Tammy

Donna said...

So far I have mailed it to Z-wool in Michigan and had good luck. The problem is that they ship back UPS and it is getting expensive. This year I was going to try Gretchen's Wool Mill near Monroe.

Shaun the Sheep "Off the Baa"

Shaun the Sheep clip "Save the Tree"