Friday, December 11, 2009

Beef and cold weather progress

So yesterday after a meeting down south, I picked up the beef from the butcher. I do not know if you can see it in the photo, but my little commuter car is really loaded down and completely stuffed with meat.
We stuffed what we could into our two freezers in the garage and then made an emergency run to Tom's parents to put the rest in their freezer.
Today it continued to be cold. It is taking its toll on some of the critters. Clara is an older goat, and she was shivering today. I briefly brought her in the feed shed and fed her extra grain. Then I put an old sweater on her, and it seems to have helped.
Then Tom and I worked on making a barn door. He says it takes twice as long to do work in the cold, and I think he's right. We only got one door done where I thought we might get both finished.

6 comments:

Tina T-P said...

Luckily it looks like this cold weather is going to pass pretty soon - into the 40's next week - why is it that goats and sheep look so darn cute in sweaters??? :-) T.

Spring Lake Farm said...

I'm sure the sweater helped! We are only in the high 20's / low 30's but for us southerners that is COLD. I'd never survive the kind of cold you're having.

Happy Holidays and WARM wishes.

Sandy

Becky Utecht said...

Oh my, look at all that beef! I want to get some calves in the spring. We very seldom eat beef, it's always just venison, lamb and chicken here. Hang in there, hopefully the cold will let up soon.

Donna said...

Tina, I hope it passes quick. I am tired of it (and do not recall how I said I would not complain about cold weather back in August). I think the sweater's colors really contrast with Clara's coloring quite nicely don't you?

Sandy, You have the greatest blog- amazing photos, stories, critters, home. What a treat! And we are not a lot colder than you are. I guess I am just a wimp at heart.

Becky, This will be the last of our beef. Believe it or not I am a vegetarian although I am trying to convert. Not much luck so far as it has been almost 30 years. Tom's the carnivore. So this is a lot of beef for the two of us! But is will have to last a long time as we are not getting cows again. Too much fencing work for us.

HisTek said...

love the stylish goat! I have had to put sweaters on our goats too. This time only one goat was shivering and needed a coat in our single digit weather. The other one has many FAT layers to keep him warm.
jackie

Donna said...

She is styling! She is the only one so far. The others are fat and fluffy.

Shaun the Sheep "Off the Baa"

Shaun the Sheep clip "Save the Tree"